Written by Shan.
I suggested VOLUNTEERING in response to the 2018 Adventure Gang Alphabet Challenge. Members were encouraged to choose an event, cause or date that suited their values, interests and personal schedules. The only guidance offered was to consider something in the natural environment, and preferably something outside of individuals’ regular volunteering commitments (ie something novel).
Among other things, I chose to attend my local National Tree Day at Cranwell Reserve on the majestic Maribyrnong River.
Highlights for me were:
- The epic turnout of locals
- The boss-level organisation of staff and volunteers on the day
- Group gardening
- The professional wildlife show (brilliant!)
- Improving my knowledge of local flora/fauna, and (drumroll),
- The indigenous smoking ceremony and discussion.
Volunteering is a great way to learn new skills, spend time with likeminded people – perhaps even make new friends, support your community and enjoy cultural exchange.